Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Altered Canvas Door Plaque

This project has been on my mind for a long time now.  I've been wanting to do a sign for the door of my craft room, but wanted it to be something a bit more "special" and textural than I'd done in the past.
When I saw the "Marmalade" paper from Kaisercraft's Nan's Favourites collection, I thought that it would be perfect for my craft room.  (It ties in beautifully with my gorgeous red chair!).  The "Dress Form" paper from the Timeless collection anchored my theme of handmade, so I squirreled my chosen papers away, while I collected bits and pieces to complete the project.
I used a 12x16 inch stretched canvas as my base, which I painted with two coats of red paint.  I trimmed my Marmalade paper down to leave a 1/2 inch border all the way around the page (I needed to cut a strip from a second sheet of paper to make the patterned paper continue across the width of the canvas).  I then distressed the edges of the Dress Form paper, and inked them with Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Walnut Stain).
 As a base for my flowers, I wanted to tie in the red theme again, so I used two large red Green Tara flowers, which I then topped with a bunch of Kaisercraft paper blooms. I chose the Buttercream pallette, and "pinked" some of them up with some My Tattered Angels Glimmermist (Vintage Pink).  Across the bottom, I used some vintage crocheted lace - my mother in law brought up a huge roll of this lace for me, that she'd been hanging onto for 20 something years!  I ruffled this along the bottom edge, to add a girly touch to the hanging.
A swirl of chocolate pearl flourishes, and a few pink sprigs from the Chanteuse Range of Polystyrene Posies, and I was almost done.
I had been busting to use one of Kaisercraft's dress forms for ages, so it was an easy choice to use this as the centrepiece of my floral flourish.  I trimmed the lower corner with a broken dangly earring (reuse, recyle and all that!) and now only have one thing left to do...
My title...
Which will have to wait until tomorrow, as I don't have enough letters to write what I want to!  Waah!!!!  Hopefully I'll be able to slip down to the Scrap shop in the morning so I can post a finished picture sometime during the day!
And now, I wonder how hubby will feel about repainting my craft room to match my pretty new door sign.... :) hehehehe
x Rita


No comments: